May 15, 2021
2020-2021 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Elementary Education Grades 1-5, MAT
Total Hours Required for Degree: 36
The Elementary Education Grades 1-5, MAT program leads to initial teacher certification and is only offered 100% online. All teacher education preparation requirements must be satisfied for this degree.
By meeting the general requirements for admission to the William J. Doré, Sr. School of Graduate Studies and the following prerequisites, applicants can enroll in Portal I courses:
- Possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited university; and
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 at the time of baccalaureate degree conferral.
In order to be formally admitted into the Master of Arts in Teaching program and progress into Portal II courses, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Achieve one of the following:
- ACT ≥ 22;
- SAT ≥ 1100 combined Evidence-Based Reading and Writing + Math; or
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (pass all three):
- Reading (#5713) with a score ≥ 156.
- Writing (#5723) with a score ≥ 162.
- Mathematics (#5733) with a score ≥ 150.
- Pass the Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects exam (#5001).
- Complete, report, and submit all requirements of the EDUC 599 packet to the Office of Graduate Education Programs.
Term 1: Fall - 7 hours
Note: EDUC 643 requires 10 field experience hours, and EDUC 647 requires 5 field experience hours.
Term 2: Spring - 6 hours
Note: EDUC 621 and EDUC 642 require 15 field experience hours each.
Term 3: Summer - 8 hours
Note: EDUC 503 requires 30 field experience hours, and EDUC 524 requires 10 field experience hours.
Term 4: Fall - 8 hours
Note: EDUC 654 requires 10 field experience hours, EDUC 681 requires 20 field experience hours, and (EDUC 680E requires a minimum of 80% of the instructional week in an assigned grade 1-5 classroom completing residency hours, or EDUC 696E requires 100% of the instructional week in a grade 1-5 classroom as the teacher of record).
Term 5: Spring - 7 hours
Note: EDUC 530 and EDUC 531 require 10 field experience hours each, and (EDUC 682E requires 100% of the instructional week in an assigned grade 1-5 classroom completing residency hours, or EDUC 697E requires 100% of the instructional week in a grade 1-5 classroom as the teacher of record).
Students enrolled in EDUC 680E, EDUC 680S, EDUC 682E, EDUC 682S, EDUC 696E, EDUC 696S, EDUC 697E, or EDUC 697S are considered full-time students in the fall and spring semesters to prevent student loans from entering repayment status, for insurance purposes, and for Citizenship and Immigration Services (SEVIS) reporting.
- At least one-half of the total number of credit hours required for a graduate degree, excluding credit for thesis, must be at the 600 level.
- Credits applied must be earned within 6 calendar years from the time the student first enrolled in the program.
- No grade below C and not more than 6 credit hours of C work can be applied toward the degree.
- Only transfer credits with a grade of B or better may be applied toward the degree.
- All degree and graduation requirements may be found on the Graduate School Regulations page.