Jan 18, 2021
Total Hours Required for Minor: 18
The minor in Special Education Mild/Moderate for Multiple Levels Grades K-12 leads to add-on teacher certification. This minor is open only to those students pursuing a concentration in a K-12 education subject area.
Note: EDUC 336 requires 15 field experience hours; SPED 403, SPED 424, and SPED 444 require 20 field experience hours each; and SPED 445 requires 10 field experience hours.
Teacher Education Requirements
In order to complete the add-on certification in Special Education Mild/Moderate to a Multiple Levels Grades K-12 teaching certificate, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Achieve one of the following:
- ACT ≥ 22;
- SAT ≥ 1100 combined Evidence-Based Reading and Writing + Math; or
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (pass all three):
- Reading (#5713) with a score ≥ 156.
- Writing (#5723) with a score ≥ 162.
- Mathematics (#5733) with a score ≥ 150.
- Pass the Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications (#5543) with a score ≥ 153.
- Pass the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching: Grades 7-12 (#5624) with a score ≥ 157.
- Pass the subject-specific multiple level content exam as well as a content specialty examination in a content area below:
|Content Area||Praxis Exam|
|Biology||Biology: Content Knowledge (#5235)|
|Business||Business Education: Content Knowledge (#5101)|
|Chemistry||Chemistry: Content Knowledge (#5245)|
|Chinese||Chinese (Mandarin): World Language (#5665)|
|English||English Language Arts: Content and Analysis (#5039)|
|Environmental Science||In lieu of exam, 31 hours in content area|
|French||French: World Language (#5174)|
|Latin||In lieu of exam, 31 hours in content area|
|Mathematics||Mathematics: Content Knowledge (#5161)|
|Social Studies||Social Studies: Content and Interpretation (#5086)|
|Spanish||Spanish: World Language (#5195)|
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses applied to the minor.