Dr. Gregory Clark, Department Head
The Department of Social Sciences offers curricula in criminal justice, political science, and sociology and provides general education courses in the social science fields.
The objectives of the department are:
- To offer students an opportunity to broaden knowledge and increase understanding of the past and present of mankind's governmental and social endeavors, including studies in anthropology, geography, and philosophy;
- To provide students with a solid liberal arts course of study leading to a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science or Sociology or a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and to prepare students for careers or for further graduate study in these areas;
- To offer minors in criminal justice, family science, political science, and sociology for students who wish to acquaint themselves with these disciplines; and
- To provide a graduate level program leading to a Master of Science in Criminal Justice.
Students in the Department of Social Sciences must meet all graduation requirements listed in the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of the Academic Regulations page. Students must also earn a grade of C or better in all courses credited toward the major. The department will not accept activity courses for elective credit in any of its curricula with the exception of band, vocal, or instrumental courses in which a student may apply up to six (6) credit hours.
The Department of Social Sciences offers an online program leading to a Master of Science in Criminal Justice. This program offers broad training in the field of criminal justice at large with a focus on police, court, and correctional administration. Additional information and the curriculum are available on the program page below.
ProgramsBachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
- Political Science, General Political Science Concentration, BA
- Political Science, Political Communications Concentration, BA
- Political Science, Political Philosophy Concentration, BA
- Political Science, Pre-Law Concentration, BA
- Sociology, Family Science Concentration, BA
- Sociology, General Sociology Concentration, BA
Master of Science
- Criminal Justice, Minor
- Family Science, Minor
- Geography, Minor
- Global Experience, Minor
- Philosophy, Minor
- Political Science, Minor
- Sociology, Minor
- Terrorism, Preparedness, and Security, Minor