Mr. Lynn Reynolds, Department Head
The mission of the Department of Visual Arts is to provide education that will enable graduates to develop their talent and potential as creative artists and future art educators within a liberal arts framework. The Department of Visual Arts offers the Bachelor of Arts in Art with studio and art education concentrations. Through a curricula that provides a breadth of experience and understanding in studio art, graduates learn to analyze the history of art and its function within the evolution of contemporary culture and to develop competency in a select area of art studio concentration. Students cultivate critical thinking and effective communication skills and analyze global community issues to become better citizens of the world and the community.
Art majors are required to follow the prescribed sequence of art studio courses and earn a grade of C or better for progression. Students transferring into the program may be required to submit a portfolio of their work. Before the completion of 60 credit hours, a formal portfolio review is required for all majors.
A candidate for a degree in art will be required to participate in a group exhibition of works selected by the faculty review committee. The Department of Visual Arts reserves the right to retain a selected work from each graduate for its departmental collection.
Students must meet all graduation requirements listed in the Degree and Graduation Requirements section of the Academic Regulations page. A student concentrating in art education must also meet all requirements for admission and progression through the teacher education program, student teaching, and graduation as stated on the Teacher Education Preparation Portals page.
ProgramsBachelor of Arts
- Art, Ceramics Concentration, BA
- Art, Ceramics/Art Education Grades K-12 Concentration, BA
- Art, Drawing Concentration, BA
- Art, Drawing/Art Education Grades K-12 Concentration, BA
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration, BA
- Art, Graphic Design/Art Education Grades K-12 Concentration, BA
- Art, Painting Concentration, BA
- Art, Painting/Art Education Grades K-12 Concentration, BA
- Art, Photography Concentration, BA
- Art, Photography/Art Education Grades K-12 Concentration, BA
- Art, Printmaking Concentration, BA
- Art, Printmaking/Art Education Grades K-12 Concentration, BA